The Ketogenic Diet – The First Few Days
So you’re taking the leap to go keto. That’s great! There are so many benefits to a ketogenic diet beyond weight loss, but the aforementioned is certainly a favorite 🙂 Many people know that to be ketogenic you must consume a diet that consists mostly of fat. But how much? And how little of carbs are we talking about? What about protein? I need numbers you say! Well sit back and let that tenderness of the fat sink in. Here are all of the juicy details PLUS a 3-day keto diet starter meal plan to get you off to the right bod!
~ The Numbers ~
To be successful at the ketogenic diet, it starts with fat. At least 70% to be frank. Let’s take Sharon Bacon, the bank clerk for example. She is 5’ 6’’ and weighs 185 pounds. She needs to eat about 1,500 calories since she is not very active and wants to lose weight. This means that at LEAST 1,000 calories are coming straight from fat! Ladies and gentleman, in order to do this we are talking about all of the good high fat foods here: avocado (it’s totally sensible to do 1 whole one a day!), coconut milk (full fat of course), cheese, olive oil, butter, bacon and the list goes on! The other number that is important to note is the carbs…5% or less is what you need to make the smoothest transition into ketosis and adapt as
quickly as possible. Research even shows that the lower your carbs are below 5%, the faster becoming ketogenic is.
And finally, we get to protein. It’s a great tool in ketogenic diets because it can help us feel full, but we don’t want to get too much protein. For Sharon Bacon, she only needs her daily dose of protein to be about 18% of her total calories, or about 68 grams…which may be more or less than what you’re actually getting now! So let’s do Sharon’s math for her: 70% fat plus 5% carbs plus 18% protein = 93% … so where do those other 7% of calories come from? MORE FAT! Seriously guys, that’s how much fat you need to eat. Life is rich in the keto world!!!
Ok, so now you’re equipped with the knowledge of the keto numbers. You may now be thinking, “What in the world am I supposed to eat?” and I’m so glad you asked! Here is a 3 day meal plan to get you started!!
- 2 Eggs cooked any way in coconut oil and topped with 1 ounce cheddar cheese
- Bacon cooked as crispy or floppy as you like it!
Lunch: Smoothie time!
- 1 scoop It Works Shake (Vanilla or Chocolate)
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (read the label for a low carb, low sugar PB)
- Ice to make it as liquidy as you like
- 3.5 ounces of cooked grass fed ground beef (80% lean 20% fat)
- 2 ounce mozzarella cheese
- Use bib lettuce as the bun
Breakfast: Cream Cheese Avocado Smash!
- ½ avocado
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 ounces pork sausage, ground
- 1 ounce shredded cheese
- *Cook sausage in pan and mix in cream cheese. Add to ½ avocado and top with cheese. Enjoy!
Lunch: Sandwich Roll Ups
- 4 ounces sliced turkey
- 3 slices provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoons avocado mayo
- *Layer 1 slice of cheese partially over 1-2 slices of stacked turkey. Spread mayo on top and curl the combo into a roll.
- Lunch side: Greek Salad
- ½ cucumber chopped into medium sized pieces
- 3” cube of feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- *Combine all ingredients into a bowl. Mix well and chill before eating!
Dinner: Crispy Crustless Pizza!
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices pepperoni
- *Create a thin layer of shredded cheese in a non-stick pan. Top with pepperoni. Cover with a glass lid and cook until the cheese crisps up and turns golden brown around the edges! Let cool and remove andsavor!!
- Snack: 1/2 avocado – top with ranch seasoning and savor!!
Breakfast: Morning Pudding
- ½ cup coconut milk (full fat!)
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon stevia or Truvia (as a sweetener!)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- *Blend ingredients and refrigerate for 1-2 hours to thicken up! Top with a few walnuts for CRUNCH!!
Lunch: Iceberg Wedge Salad
- ¼ head iceberg lettuce
- 4 ounces bleu cheese dressing
- ¼ cup bacon crumbles
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- *Make that salad! You know you know it!!!
- Afternoon snack:
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- *On a baking sheet with parchment paper, spread shredded cheese thin to form 3-4 disk shaped circles.
- Bake at 350F until golden brown around the edges. Let cool for 10-15 minutes. You now have ZERO carb cheese chips! Yum!!
Dinner: Creamy Spinach Salmon
- (1) 6 ounce salmon fillet
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- ½ cup raw spinach
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- *Combine cream cheese, spinach and parmesan in a bowl. Cut a slit in the salmon about ½ of the way through. This will create a pocket for the filling.
- Stuff salmon with cream cheese mixture and bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes.
Best of luck on your high fat adventures! Here’s to the rich life!! 💚
Download your free Keto Food List